Thingamakit part 1

I recently bought a Thingamakit from Bleep labs, and I’ve been looking forward to building it. I finaly got some time to start on the build. I began by attaching the holders for the ICs and the resistors.

Just started the build

Just started the build

The workspace, showing some of the components and the box

The workspace, showing some of the components and the box

Closer view

Closer view

All the components came in neat little bags like this one

All the components came in neat little bags like this one

Another view, in the process of attaching resistors

Another view, in the process of attaching resistors

All components are clearly marked, as these resistors, making the build easy even if you don’t know how to read the markings on the components themselves.

Clearly marked resistors

Clearly marked resistors

Finished with the resistors

Finished with the resistors

Another view

Another view

OK, finished the resistors, moving on to capacitors.

First capacitors added (blue)

First capacitors added (blue)

Capacitors

Capacitors

A little closer view

A little closer view

Backside, long legs

Backside, long legs

This is the backside of the board. I attached the components by bending the legs, prying them in place. No soldering was done at this point. After bending, I cut the legs like so:

Legs cut

Legs cut

Looks good, although soldering is required to hold them firmly in place. But that can wait, now it’s the smaller capacitors turn.

Small capacitors (yellow)

Small capacitors (yellow)

Not easy to see, but i have attached small capacitors as well. The big ones have direction, and can be destroyed if you put them the wrong way, but they’re clearly marked, so it shouldn’t be any problem.

Another view

Another view

With the capacitors all in place, it’s time to move on to switches and pots. Pots are variable resistors, or knobs if you like 🙂

Swithces and pots

Swithces and pots

Swithces and knobs in place

Swithces and knobs in place

I had to use some force to get the switches into the board, but this is normal, and as long as you’re careful you can’t break anything. Now all the components that go on the board is in place, so it’s time to start soldering them in place.

Started soldering

Started soldering

Soldering the components it’s pretty fast, although there are quite a lot of those resistors. It’s not difficult, but take care not to use too much lead, otherwise it can run through the hole in the board. A bit of soldering experience is helpful though.

Soldering is complete

Soldering is complete

Another view

Another view

It might be a bit difficult to see, but I made some brown spots on the board. Thats OK, it still works. Just be a bit careful with the heat.

The finished board

The finished board

After soldering I tested the board a bit, especially the components with a brown spot on the board next to them.

Testing in progress

Testing in progress

No errors found

No errors found

With that out of the way, the time has come to cut and attach wires. Several components like the battery, speaker and of course the LED/light sensor system will be attached by wires. So I prepared some lengths of wire according to the manual:

Wires

Wires

Even after cutting, there were plenty to go around. As you can see, four colors are included in the box, but you can of course substitute your own.

Lots of wires

Lots of wires

I soldered wires to the on/off/volume pot, and attached it:

On/off switch and volume control

On/off switch and volume control

Attached to the board

Attached to the board

Added the battery box and external output:

Battery box

Battery box

External output

External output

Then I attached the light sensors, witch are actually light sensitive resistors.

Light sensors

Light sensors

Another view

Another view

Light sensors attached

Light sensors attached

Alternative view

Alternative view

Another view

Another view

Then I attached wires for the LEDs and the speaker, but I didn’t solder the LEDs or speaker yet. I will do that when the case is complete.

More wires attached

More wires attached

All wires in place

All wires in place

At this point you can test the device. Witch I did. And it made sound. 😀 I’m very pleased.

Electronics done

Electronics done

Now I have to make the case for the kit. Drill holes for all the controls and attach the board and other components on the inside. Hopefully I will have time for that part this weekend. But at least I have a working sound unit. 🙂

-Knut

Advertisements

Tags: , ,

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: